go to home page go to home page  

 


General Information
  About St. George
  Contact Us
  History
  Map
Town Boards
  Selectboard
    - Agendas & Minutes
  Development Review
    - Agendas & Minutes
  Historic Preservation
  Planning Commission
    - Agendas & Minutes
  School Board
    - Agendas & Minutes

  Cemetery Commission
  
250th Anniversary 

Land Use and Reports
  
Regulations & Bylaws
  Reports
Community
  Photo Gallery
  Lake Iroquois
  St. George Historic and    Conservation Trust

  District 5-2 - Joan Lenes
  Links


GENERAL INFORMATION /
History

The original town Charter provided that the town would contain approximately 26,000 acres, but the boundaries already established by surrounding towns left St. George with only 2,200 acres.  The Town of Shelburne contributed approximately 100 additional acres in 1848 but St. George still remains the smallest municipality in Vermont at 2,304 acres.

St. George remained a largely agricultural town for 200 years.  In 1958 there were half dozen farms operating in the town.  Beginning in the 1960’s, however, St. George entered a time of rapid growth with the highest rate of growth in Chittenden County.

Several major developments in the town were St. George Estates and Rocky Ridge Estates, which together added approximately 40 homes.  They soon were followed by the development of a large mobile home park on Route 2A.  Development also occurred on both sides of the Mt. Pritchard ridge as well as an additional development known as “The Forest”.  St. George has evolved into a bedroom community for the larger towns of Burlington and Williston.

Interested in reading a research paper about the Town of St. George

Dylan Caplan, a University of Vermont student, wrote an essay about the Town of St. George: 2012 Caplan Essay  - Town of St. George

Old Map
Historic Map of St. George and Williston

For additional historical information, pick up a copy of Chittenden County Historical Society's booklet, “Look Around St. George and Shelburne, Vermont” available for sale at the St. George town office.

   

 

    
ęTown of St. George, 2006